C.A.T. Progetti SRL was founded in 1983 as a spin-off from its parent company, C.A.T. di Corsini G.& C. SPA and began operating in 1984 with the purpose of providing customised flexible subcontracting and to develop research projects using a design studio integrated in the structure.
In 1988 it became an Independent Research Laboratory recognised by the Italian Ministry of Education, Higher Education and Research (MIUR).
Over the years the company has promoted fifty or so regional, national and European research projects in the areas of process automation, robotics, electromedical equipment, nanotechnologies, energy efficiency and eHealth.
In 2000 the firm severed its ties with the C.A.T. PROGETTI group, of which it had been the research laboratory, to become an independent small and medium-sized enterprise in its own right.
In 2008, together with two other small and medium-sized firms, the company was one of the founding partners of “INNOVANET”, a network of innovators affiliated to the Bologna branch of the Italian National Confederation of Artisans – CNA.
Over the years Innovanet has expanded into its current structure involving 120 enterprises and nine business clusters as follows:
- Waste recycling and reuse of secondary primary materials (C.A.T. PROGETTI developed the engineering for the initial projects)
- eHealth (C.A.T. PROGETTI is a member of the business cluster)
- Energy efficiency (C.A.T. PROGETTI is a member of the business cluster)
- Electrospinning to produce micro- and nano-scale fibres and composite materials (C.A.T. PROGETTI is the driving force behind the business cluster together with the University of Bologna or UNIBO)
- Process automation and robotics (C.A.T. PROGETTI is the driving force behind the business cluster together with the University of Bologna)
- Medical Device (C.A.T. PROGETTI is the driving force behind the business cluster together with the University of Bologna)
- Water treatment
- Augmented reality
- Additive Manufacturing (3D printer)
As part of the business clusters listed above, C.A.T. PROGETTI has formed R&D partnerships with the University of Bologna, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Milan Polytechnic, CNR, ENEA, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Pera Group, AIMEN Centro Tecnologico, University of Aalborg, INESC TEC Porto and Tecnalia.
In recent years C.A.T. PROGETTI, in order to develop its business globally, has both joined CAMSER a consortium competent in promoting SME’s at international level and MIB 4.0, a new integrated supply chain specialised in mechatronics.